Follow Us! Become a Fan of NRCC!
Advisor and Student

Top 10 Frequently Asked Questions

1. Why should I begin my college education at NRCC?

NRCC is a great place to begin your college education!

  • class sizes tend to be small and the campus environment personable

  • professors are more accessible than in freshman/sophomore classes at a university

  • Costs are lower than four-year colleges and universities

  • We have Guaranteed Admissions Agreements w/ more than 20 Virginia colleges

  • You can obtain the first half of your bachelor's degree (freshman/sophomore general education courses) at NRCC, & then transfer to a four-year college

- Return to top -

2. Why should I complete my degree before I transfer?

Many schools give admission preference to students who have completed their transfer Associate Degrees. In many cases, if you have a transfer Associate Degree, you will enter with junior standing and general education requirements will be waived. Also you may be eligible for the "Two-Year Transfer Grant Program." See the Two Year College Grant Factsheet (pdf).

- Return to top -

3. If I only plan to stay at NRCC for one year what courses should I take?

6 cr. - Eng 111 & 112

6 cr. - transferable math (required for the major you plan to study when you transfer)

8 cr. - Natural science w/lab (many colleges want one year of one science)

10 cr. - Transferable social sciences, humanities, or other transferable electives

Most four year institutions do not require the SAT if students take the necessary college coursework for transfer and maintain a competitive GPA while at NRCC. We recommend that you meet with an Academic Advisor at NRCC and/or with an Admissions Counselor at the four-year college where you plan to transfer before registering for classes.

- Return to top -

4. Will all NRCC courses transfer?

Yes in most cases, but there are some exceptions and here's why:

  • a. Developmental courses (pre-college level) will not transfer and also will not count for a NRCC      degree.
  • b. Some courses (especially occupational/technical courses) are not designed to transfer.
  • c. Grades below "C" generally do not transfer.

We recommend you meet with an Academic Advisor at NRCC and/or the college to which you plan to transfer before registering for classes.   

- Return to top -

5. When do I apply to transfer?

To begin fall enrollment at a four-year school, the application deadline is generally the middle of the spring term. The most common deadline date for Virginia schools is March 1 for fall admissions; however Virginia Tech's admission's deadline is February 15. Admission committees will review your coursework through the last semester you have completed prior to your application.

- Return to top -

6. Is it a problem if I get accepted at a four-year school for the fall and my spring grades are REALLY bad?

YES. Schools can withdraw their offer of admission if you do not continue to earn appropriate grades before you enroll at their institution.  

- Return to top -

7. What does an admissions committee look for in a transfer student?

Different universities look for different qualities when admitting students. The main consideration is that they want to admit students who will be successful and graduate from their institution. Generally, committees will look at whether you have:

  • a. Completed appropriate courses for transfer,
  • b. Earned a strong G.P.A. in those appropriate courses, and
  • c. Exhibited strong writing skills on your application. You need to know how to market yourself and your skills.

    Below is an excellent website to help you write a successful college application essay (writing sample):

- Return to top -

8. When should I begin thinking about transferring?

NOW! If you wait too long you may miss deadlines and not take appropriate courses. It is NEVER too early to begin the transfer process. If you have questions about transferring, meet with an NRCC Academic Advisor or your Faculty Advisor.  Successful transfer to a four-year school is your responsibility. Utilize NRCC and four-year school resources to gather information, but YOU must seek out the information and follow through appropriately.

- Return to top -

9. What are Articulation and Guaranteed Admission Agreements?

Guaranteed Admission or Articulation Agreements are special programs developed by the Virginia Community College System and four-year colleges and universities that enable students to take advantage of some unique benefits. It is important to carefully read the agreement for the four year institution to which you plan to transfer.

For a list of participating colleges and program requirements, visit the VCCS Transfer Agreements link.

10. Where can I get more general information on the transfer process?

Click on the following site for more information on the transfer process:


- Return to top -