Follow Us! Become a Fan of NRCC!
International Students

Change of Status

Persons holding a non-immigrant visa status in the United States may change their visa status to certain limitations while remaining in the country. In order to request a change of visa (for example, F-2 to F-1 or from H-1 to F-1) the following information is required from the prospective student:

  • SEVIS I-20 from NRCC indicating request for change of status (must have provided all information required for international student admission)

  • Completed I-539 form "Application to Extend Status/Change Non-Immigrant Status"

  • Original I-94 card

  • Evidence of financial support

  • Check/Money order for fee made payable to USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services)

If the change of status request is based on a spouse's visa status, the following information is required in addition to the information listed above:

  • Copy of spouse's passport

  • Copy of spouse's I-94 (front and back)

  • Copy of spouse's I-20

  • Evidence of financial support

The request is then sent to the USCIS for adjudication. The student and NRCC are notified of the Service's decision. The college receives notification on SEVIS.