Many of us spend our life listening to music, whether aware or unaware. Music surrounds us, fills the airwaves and influences us in so many ways. Some of us have listened attentively to jazz, while others have heard it as background music in perhaps a restaurant or on the radio. What is jazz? Where does jazz come from? Why does it sound the way it does? How has jazz evolved over the years?
This class provides an overall understanding of jazz, its history, and evolution. While this class will not help you become a jazz musician or even write jazz, it will allow you to become familiar with great jazz artists and innovators and give you the background to truly appreciate it when you hear it.
Come discover how this improvisational music born out of an African-American musical heritage has influenced not only America’s musical world, but has given the world a unique form of musical expression.
To be purchased at the College Bookstore: OnMusic Jazz Second Edition
Registering Access Code:
- Acquire RedShelf's OnMusic Jazz Second Edition 16-digit Access Code from the NRCC Bookstore. Used copies will not work.
- Redeem your 16-digit code on the RedShelf website to obtain the 14-digit Connect for Education access code needed to register for this course.
- Go to RedShelf at https://redshelf.com to create an account. Once you have your account, enter your 16-digit code. You will receive a 14-digit access code to register for the course in Canvas.
- Go to the course in Canvas, click on Modules, and then click the Connect 4 Education link. Then just register your course access code.
- From this point forward, you will access the entire course using that Connect 4 Education link. That is all there is to it!
- Acquaint yourself with the Course Information section under Modules before starting the class.
- Follow the course schedule to stay on target with deadlines.
- Check regularly course announcements in CANVAS and your CANVAS inbox to access all communications from your instructor.
- Contact your instructor with any questions or concerns. Professor Billaud quickly responds and eagerly looks forward to helping you!