In case of Inclement Weather...
The following radio and television stations are notified when the college is forced to close or to operate on a delayed schedule because of inclement weather.
NOTE: Separate announcements are made for day and evening classes.
If no announcement is made, the college will be open as usual.
- WDBJ Channel 7 Roanoke
- WSLS Channel 10 Roanoke
- WSLQ 99 FM Roanoke
- WVTF 89.1 FM Roanoke
- WXLK 92 FM Roanoke
- WRAD 1460 AM Radford
- WPSK 107.1 FM Pulaski
- WFNR 710 AM/100.7 FM Christiansburg
- WBRW 105.3 FM Christiansburg
- WBRF 98.1 FM Galax
- WMEV 94 FM Marion
- WYVE 1280 AM Wytheville
- WXVX 95.3 FM Wytheville
The following steps will be followed in the event that New River Community College elects to go on a delayed schedule:
- Area radio and television stations as listed above will be notified that New River Community College is opening at a specific time. Normally this will be 10:00 a.m.
- When the college opens at 10:00 a.m., classes scheduled to start after that time will meet for their normal duration. Classes originally scheduled before 10:00 a.m. will not meet, except for classes that would ordinarily extend past 10:00 a.m. (For example, for a 9:30 a.m. to 10:50 a.m. class, students should report at 10:00 a.m.) Should a later time of opening be announced, the same logic will apply.
Following are some suggestions for obtaining accurate information during inclement weather:
- 1. Listen to more than one radio or television station. We strive to provide accurate up-to-date information to each station. However, mistaken information is sometimes aired. Verify the information you hear with the broadcast of another station.
- 2. Listen to the announcements more than once. Occasionally, severe weather warrants that a decision to delay opening be changed to a decision to close.
- 3. Call NRCC (674-3600). You will reach the automated attendant. Don't dial an extension; simply hold the line to hear the recorded information.
- 4. Check the college's web site. In the event of a closing or delay, an effort will be made to post this information on the college's web site (www.nr.edu). Student and NRCC personnel are encouraged to utilize this option, but please be aware that technical difficulties sometimes prevent this information from being posted in a timely manner.
Remember, we do not announce via radio and television that the college is open. Announcements will be made only if the college will be closed or operating on a delayed schedule.