Aims to increase knowledge and enjoyment of theatre. Considers process, style, organization, written drama and performed drama. Lecture 3 hours per week.
The main objective of CST 141 is to help the student
- know and understand the nature of the theatrical event
- analyze the why of the theater
- identify the forms of drama
- know and understand the role of the major practitioners
The student will:
- Investigate the elements of theater arts, identifying characteristics unique to theater and cheater's relationships to other fine art forms.
- Trace the historical development of theater, including physical processes of production, performance styles and playwriting.
- Examine masterworks of dramatic literature for a greater understanding of philosophy, structure, literary quality and societal concerns.
- Understand the contributions to the total production process made by the practitioners of the arts and crafts of the theater.
- Apply critical thinking skills through synthesis of theory and development of personal and artistic sensibility.