* Minimum Bachelor's degree in English or related field.
* Minimum 12 months teaching experience with non-native adult English language speakers.
* Native-level English speaker.
* Student focused and culturally sensitive.
* Positive, energetic and passionate for teaching.
* Excellence in written and oral communication skills.
* Strong interpersonal skills, highly patient and ability to manage conflict.
* Ability to organize, manage, and plan lessons for multiple classes, levels, and skills.
* Adept and comfortable with technology across platforms for use in the classroom including Zoom, online learning programs, Microsoft programs and Outlook.
* Experienced and comfortable teaching in a distance and in-person learning environment.
* TEFL/CELTA/Equivalent Certificate.
As an Instructor in the Office of Transitional Programs at New River Community College, you are committed to providing the highest quality of ELA instruction to prepare international students for success in the classroom, on-the-job, in post-secondary training, and in day-to-day adult situations. Instruction will focus on academic listening, speaking, reading and writing skills taught according to the requirements of WIOA (Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act) using the ENGLISH LANGUAGE PROFICIENCY STANDARDS FOR ADULT EDUCATION released in October of 2016.
As ELA Instructor, you will:
* Teach academic-oriented English classes of various levels and skills.
* Create weekly lessons plans based on the OTP curriculum as delineated by ELA Coordinator while utilizing and supplementing the Burlington English online program.
* Foster a positive, energetic and student-centered learning environment.
* Manage a multi-level, open-enrollment classroom effectively and promote collegiality and professionalism among students.
* Regularly assess student performance and maintain complete and accurate records of student progress.
* Maintain accurate records as required by OTP in order to comply with specified grant.
* Attend and participate in periodic meetings, workshops, and professional development opportunities offered by OTP.
* Maintain open communication with ELA Coordinator.
* Require consistent attendance and participation by students.
* Require that translators of any sort are not used in the classroom and English is the only language utilized in the classroom.
Open until filled
Apply online at: VCCS Jobs
Forward a completed state application and resume to:
Human Resources Office
New River Community College
5251 College Drive
Dublin, VA 24084
(540) 674-3651 Fax
(540) 674-3619 TDD
(866) 462-6722 Toll-Free