Virginia Independent Motor Vehicle Dealer Operator Course
- If you are going to start a new dealership, request a “New Dealer Package” from the Motor Vehicle Dealer Board (MVDB) at 804-367-1100 (in Richmond 367-1100).
- This package will contain a Salesperson and a Dealer-operator Study Guide for you to review. It will also have the paperwork needed to apply for a license and a step-by-step procedure for opening the dealership.
- If you currently have a salesperson license, and need to upgrade to a Dealer-operator certificate of qualification, you can obtain the Dealer-operator Study Guide from your local DMV Customer Service Center. You will not have to take the salesperson part of the exam at DMV, after completing the Dealer-operator course, only the Dealer-operator portion is required.
- If you have access to the Internet, you can go to www.mvdb.virginia.gov and select “Dealer and Salesperson.” Then select “Practice Salesperson Test.” It will give you ten questions to answer. Select “Take Another Exam” and you will get ten questions that are different. “View Manual” will give you the salesperson and Dealer-operator Study Guides online.
- When attending the Dealer-operator class, please bring pencil or pen and a good calculator with which you are comfortable. Classes start at 8:30 AM and end around 4:00 PM.
- The course test will be given at the end of instruction on the second day. You must pass this test with a grade of 80% before taking the final exam at a DMV Customer Service Center. Those who do not pass will be required to retake the course at a future time. An additional fee is required.
Further information may be obtained from the MVDB or the VIADA staff at the above number.