Babka, A Polish Easter DelightBy Sarah Polan • Apr 9th, 2009 • Category: Student Life
- 1 cup milk
- 3 cups flour
- 1/4 cup slightly warm milk
- 2 packages Yeast
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 15 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup chopped almonds
- 1/3 cup chopped citron
- 1/3 cup chopped orange rind
- 1/3 cup chopped lemon rind
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tablespoon rum or lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon water
- Scald 1 cup milk and slowly add 3/4 cup flour and beat thoroughly.
- Dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup warm milk, mix in 1 tbsp sugar.
Add to the cooled flour mixture and beat well.
- Let rise until double in bulk (30 minutes).
- Add salt to eggs yolks and beat until thick and lemon colored.
- Add sugar, vanilla and almond extract and continue to beat.
- Add to sponge (flour-yeast mixture), add remaining flower.
- Knead for ten minutes.
- Add butter and knead 10 minutes or until dough no longer sticks to your fingers.
- Add fruit and nuts mix into dough, cover and let rise until double in bulk (60 minutes).
- Punch down and let rise again (60 minutes).
- Punch down.
- Butter a fluted tube pan and sprinkle with bread crumbs.
- Fill with dough to cover 1/3 of the pan.
- Let rise 1 hour* and bake at 350°F for 50 minutes.
- Cool and decorate with lucre.
- Lucre: Mix ingredients and spread over top of cake, letting it drip down the sides.
- Keep dough covered in a warm place free from drafts.
About Sarah Polan:
Sarah Polan entered New River Community College in the summer of 2008 at age 16 after being homeschooled her entire life. She had already been a member of the Roanoke Times "Edge" staff for two years at that point. Sarah came to New River with the dream of rebuilding the long forgotten school newspaper and with the help and encouragement of Janet Hanks and the IT staff, the online Knight Rider was born. Sarah has served as editor and contributing writer for three semesters and continues to coordinate and produce the e-paper biweekly. She also edits an on-line national publication for the Boy Scouts of America Southern Region Venturing division and will be contributing an article to the nationally published Scouting magazine blog. She has also provided a student blog post to the student organization VA21. In her spare time, Sarah enjoys traveling in search of her dream college which she will transfer to next year.
Email this author | All posts by Sarah Polan