- 1 cup milk
- 3 cups flour
- 1/4 cup slightly warm milk
- 2 packages Yeast
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 15 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup chopped almonds
- 1/3 cup chopped citron
- 1/3 cup chopped orange rind
- 1/3 cup chopped lemon rind
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tablespoon rum or lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon water
- Scald 1 cup milk and slowly add 3/4 cup flour and beat thoroughly.
- Dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup warm milk, mix in 1 tbsp sugar.
Add to the cooled flour mixture and beat well.
- Let rise until double in bulk (30 minutes).
- Add salt to eggs yolks and beat until thick and lemon colored.
- Add sugar, vanilla and almond extract and continue to beat.
- Add to sponge (flour-yeast mixture), add remaining flower.
- Knead for ten minutes.
- Add butter and knead 10 minutes or until dough no longer sticks to your fingers.
- Add fruit and nuts mix into dough, cover and let rise until double in bulk (60 minutes).
- Punch down and let rise again (60 minutes).
- Punch down.
- Butter a fluted tube pan and sprinkle with bread crumbs.
- Fill with dough to cover 1/3 of the pan.
- Let rise 1 hour* and bake at 350°F for 50 minutes.
- Cool and decorate with lucre.
- Lucre: Mix ingredients and spread over top of cake, letting it drip down the sides.
- Keep dough covered in a warm place free from drafts.