Career Advisor (Adult Career Coach). Temporary part-time position.
Bachelor's degree in counseling, human resources, social services, adult education, workforce development, or related field with experience commensurate to work areas of position. Positions require the following knowledge, skills, and abilities: ability to assess the skills, needs, interests, and aptitudes of adult students and provide personalized advice on career and postsecondary options; ability to work with the Virginia Employment Commission and develop knowledge of labor market trends and opportunities; understanding of the specific needs of area employers for high demand occupations; strong interpersonal skills to help engage, provide support, and motivate students, as well as to engage business partners effectively; effective problem-solving, coaching, and facilitation skills; knowledge of training and coaching strategies to strengthen "soft skills" of participants; working knowledge of the workforce development system; ability to use Microsoft Office and social media comfortably; facilitate in goal setting, action planning, and implementation of action plans. A background investigation will be conducted on the selected candidate.
Work experience in career coaching, counseling, and/or workforce development.
Note: This is a temporary part-time position supported by grant funding through 9/30/14 with possible extension of 3-12 months.
Selected candidate must be able to:
*Assess the skills, needs, interests, and aptitudes of clients and provide personalized advice on career and career options and postsecondary educational programs;
* Develop individual action plans for students using strong interpersonal skills that engage, support, and motivate students;
* Assist students with the financial aid process using links to financial aid services and financial aid staff at NRCC;
* Conduct workshops to prepare clients for entering the workforce;
* Work periodically at designated off-campus locations;
* Work periodically during the evening hours;
* Maintain up-to-date knowledge of labor market trends and opportunities and specific needs of area employers for high demand occupations to assist students in their choice of careers and academic programs;
* Assist students with goal setting, development of action plans, and implementation of action plans using strong interpersonal skills that engage, support, and motivate students;
* Network with state and local support services and assist students with access to these resources;
* Provide reports to the college as requested;
* Facilitate equitable resolutions to student issues with efficiency and exceptional problem solving skills;
* Incorporate specific needs of area employers in the career counseling of students;
* Collect and maintain data necessary for reports;
* Frequent local and occasional state-wide travel may be required;
* Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Based on academic qualifications and work experience.
As soon as possible.
Applications will be reviewed as received.
Apply online at: VA Jobs
Forward a completed state application, resume, letter of application explaining qualifications, three current letters of reference and official academic transcripts to:
Human Resources Office
New River Community College
5251 College Drive
Dublin, VA 24084
(540) 674-3651 Fax
(540) 674-3619 TDD
(866) 462-6722 Toll-Free