Updated to 6th Edition
- Create a professional Word document. Include your name, course number and chapter number at the top of each page.
- Each question is worth one point except for the Thought Questions.
- Print your completed document and submit at the BEGINNING of class on the due date. Hand-written assignments or late assignments will not be accepted.
- Include the number of each question in your document. Answer only the assigned questions.
- Write your answers in your own words.
- Do not cut and paste answers from your textbook nor a web site. Submitting answers found on any web site is a violation of the NRCC Honor code.
(3 points) People in Computer Science - Herman A. Simon (page 430)
- What predigious award did Herbert Simon earn?
- Herbert Simon coined the word "satisfice". What does this term mean? (Not in book, do some research.)
- How does satisfice relate to his economic theory?
(5 points) Matching
(16 points) True False
(9 points) 13.1 Thinking Machines
- Matching #22 - #30
- Short Answer #31 - #36
(6 points) 13.2 Knowledge Representation
(7 points) 13.3 Expert Systems
(6 points) 13.4 Neural Networks
- #54, #55, #57, #58, #60, #64
(5 points) 13.5 Natural Language Processing
(4 points) 13.6 Robotics
- #73, #74
- #77 (not in book) Why is order important in Asimov's Laws of Robotics?
- #78 (not in book) What could happen if the laws were in a different order?
(11 points) Thought Questions - Ethical Issues - Initial Public Offerings
Write a paragraph or more to answer each question. Read each question in the textbook then read more instructions below.
- (5 points) #1 First write down your 5 questions. Then go to the CSC 200 Resources page, under Chapter 13 and click on the AliceBot Turing Test - Scroll down to "Chat with A.L.I.C.E" link. Enter 5 different questions that would be useful for a Turing test. Do a screen capture of your results and print or embed in your Word document.
- (2 points) #3
- (2 points each) #4 and #6
Read Ethical Issues Politics and the Internet: The Public's View Page 440 before answering these questions.