Updated to 5th Edition
Photo from IEEE Global History Network
- Create a professional Word document. Include your name, course number and chapter number at the top of each page.
- Each question is worth one point except where otherwise noted.
- Print your completed document and submit at the START of class on the due date. Hand-written assignments or late assignments will NOT be accepted.
- Include the number of each question in your document. Answer only the assigned questions.
- Write your answers in your own words.
- Do not cut and paste answers from your textbook nor a web site. Submitting answers found on any web site is a violation of the NRCC Honor code.
(6 points) People in Computer Science - Ada Lovelace
- What is Lady Ada recognized as today?
- Who did she work with that is recognized as created one of the first mechanical calculating devices?
- What was the name of the device?
- Lady Ada also trained with another famous guy. What is his name?
- What is he known for?
- Is there a programming language named for Lady Ada? If so, what is the name of the language?
(10 points) Matching - People in Computer Science
(13 points) Matching - Hardware Generations
(15 points) Matching - Software Generations
(14 points) Short Answer
- #40 - #42, #44, #45, #47, #49, #51, #54 - #56, #58 (3 points),
(9 points) Thought Questions
3 points each. Write a paragraph or more to answer each question.
- #2 Discuss the role of abstraction in the history of computer science.
- #3 (Read Ethical Issues - The Tenth Strand Pages 27-28 before answering this question.) Explain the meaning of The Tenth Strand.
- #4 Have your ever taken an ethics course (or are you taking one now)? What topics did you explore? What was the most important thing you learned?