Designed for high-achieving and highly motivated students, The Advanced Learners Program (ALP) provides students with the opportunity to experience an interactive learning environment of inquiry, discovery, collaboration, and heightened student engagement.
Offered conveniently online, ALP courses are standard Virginia Community College courses that faculty have adapted and developed for ALP students. ALP course content is broader in scope and deeper in examination than the prescribed student learning in standard courses. The courses offer more active learning and intensive “discovery” of knowledge, as well as
- Extended student-student and student-faculty interaction
- Emphasis on advanced topics and greater in-depth understanding
- Deeper engagement with peers and faculty in course content
- Exploration of advanced concepts, ideas, and research based on student interest
- Collaborative teaching and learning, assignments, and projects
- Increased student sharing of personal perspectives and knowledge
- Emphasis on research, writing, and critical analysis
Students will benefit from the personal achievement and in-depth understanding provided by the courses. ALP students will also have access to the Innovations Center in Godbey Hall, which houses cutting edge technology for their use. They will also receive recognition through an ALP designation on their college transcripts and distinction at graduation.